Number of blogs
Last night, I was zapping and they had on a US news:
- Number of Internet users: 1.6 billion
- Number of blogs: 22 billions
That's 13 blogs per users. I can't find a confirmation, even from Google, it's the middle of the night and I can't phone the TV station to find out where did they get these numbers, but these numbers “feel right.”
- How many of these 22 billion blogs will be updated at least on a weekly basis? My experience tells me it's far less than 1%. We are down to 220 million blogs.
- How many of these blogs are in English? In 2009, less than 30% of the Internet was in English, with Chinese and Indian now accounting for 30% of the Internet. That's 220 millions divided by 3 and we are down to 73 millions blogs.
- How many of these blogs are about the topic that interests you? 0.1% or 0.2%? There are not that many blogs about photography related topics. That's at the most 73,000 blogs.
73,000 blogs is still a very large number, but a much more manageable number than the 22 billion of blogs. Now if you specialize even further like architectural photography with only a couple hundreds of blogs or Lightroom with also a few of hundreds of websites… Now it's not so bad after all.
It all starts with:
- Regular updates of your blog.
- Specific topic. The more specific the better, the less competition and the higher your Google ranking.