The Good Photography Books
I'm in the process of re-reading the Tao of Photography by Phil Gross and SI Shapiro. It's a book that I've had for a few years. I read it when I bought it, then I re-read it a couple of years ago and now I'm re-reading it again. Sometimes it's uplifting, sometimes it reminds me of …
What's a good photography book? A good book is a book that I can read again and again.
There are very few technical books that can do that for me. One of the very rare book is Syl Arena's Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites. It's not that I don't buy technical books, Martin Evening and Scott Kelby have made a lot of their “fortune” on me.
I also buy are some location guides, even if I have no plan on going there “right now”, these books usually are printed in small runs and go out of print, then that's it, never to be printed again.
- A “good” photography book will change my mind.
- A “good” photography book will make me take different photographs.
- A “good” photography book will make me experiment.
- A “good” photography book will open my mind to different possibilities.
- A “good” photography book will open my mind to different point of views.
I will not buy any book that goes: “I'm so much better than you, so bow in respect.” There are a few “famous photographers” that are like that. Yes, they are talented, yes, I will look at their photos but I will never buy any of their stuff…
I have not bought any Kindle book and as afar I remember, I only bought one e-book. I refuse to buy them. Many, many of the Kindle books are more expensive than the actual physical book. This is a swindle!
- I'm NOT an Amazon affiliate. I do not get any money if you buy any of these books.
Here are some of the books that I consider “good books” in no particular order.
- Tao of Photography by Philippe Gross and SI Shapiro: http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Photography-Seeing-Beyond/dp/1580081940
- Speedliter's Handbook by Syl Arena http://www.amazon.com/Speedliters-Handbook-Learning-Craft-Speedlites/dp/032171105X (Canon Flashes)
- Successful Self-Promotion for Photographers by Elyse Weissberg http://www.amazon.com/Successful-Self-Promotion-Photographers-Elyse-Weissberg/dp/081745926X
- The Eye of Eisenstaedt by Alfred Eisenstaedt http://www.amazon.com/Eisenstaedt-Alfred-told-Goldsmith-EISENSTAEDT/dp/B000J3Y7BQ
- Within the Frame by David DuChemin http://www.amazon.com/Within-Frame-Journey-Photographic-Vision/dp/0321605020
- The Passionate Photographer by Steve Simon http://www.amazon.com/The-Passionate-Photographer-Toward-Becoming/dp/0321719891
- Picture Perfect Practice by Roberto Valenzuela http://www.amazon.com/Picture-Perfect-Practice-Self-Training-World-Class/dp/0321803531. New book that will become a standard.
- People Pictures by Chris Orwig http://www.amazon.com/People-Pictures-Exercises-Authentic-Photographs/dp/0321774973
Please note that I'm not including any McNally book like the Hot Shoe Diaries. They are excellent but they are “too Nikon” for me, I use Canon flashes.