"Cloud" or Bust
By now, you must have heard that Adobe will release Photoshop CS6 in the first week of May. One of the big new feature is the cloud! I see and read a lot of "misunderstanding / misinformation" about the cloud. People use the word "cloud" just like people used the "information super highway" expression in the years 1996-1997.
What's the cloud? When they talk about the cloud, they either mean that the data and/or some programs are on computers/servers that are accessed via the Internet. In the "good old days," the data and/or the programs were stored on the local network. You could walk to the server room and see the computers, the lights, the cables and some techie that was looking after the whole "shebang." The advantage and/or the problem with the cloud is that you do not know what's inside, how it's configured…
Why do "they" use the word cloud? The word cloud started when computer people started to design the Internet which was an
Inter Network of Computers. Somebody started using the representation of a cloud, because you do not know or do not need to know what is inside and you can't see inside a cloud.
- Will they crash? Yes they will. Now the question is what will happen when they will crash. Even the best companies: Amazon and Google have had major crashes. Amazon provides more cloud services then everybody else combined. In April 2011, Amazon had major crashes for over 3 weeks and took down many sites including 4-square, Reddit, Cydia, Discovr… Gmail has had many crashes/outages, including a couple of crashes where Google lost the emails of hundreds of thousands of users.
- Why move to the cloud? Adobe Photoshop is the most pirated software. Adobe wants to both reduce the piracy and even its cash flow, they will be paid on either a monthly or a yearly basis.
- Will the company close? Will Adobe go bankrupt? I doubt, but they could be bought by a bigger fish like Microsoft, Google, Apple, Venture Capital Funds… Who knows what will happen when/if they are bought?
- Will the company change policy? Ever seen the big sign "Under New Management"? They will have to do something different...
- Will the company change business? Think about the previous item.
- Will you upgrade? On the cloud, you will not have the choice, Adobe will upgrade you whether you like it or not.
- What about the security? The hope is that they do not get broken into, but the CIA, the US Army, the FBI, Google, Microsoft, Yahoo and many other foreign governments agencies have been hacked with their data stolen, deleted…
Me, I'm an anal retentive paranoiac, I stay away from the cloud (I still use the Internet but on my own terms). I want my own CD/DVD and I decide when I upgrade, when I changeâ€¦ Will I get Photoshop CS6? Very likely and I expect to upgrade toward the end of the year.
I'm not a Photoshop expert. I use Photoshop in very limited ways and I struggle every time.