People Don't Pay Attention
Today's Saturday the 24th of January 2009 9:15am. Many bloggers have spread the latest rumor: Adobe has released Lightroom 2.3. The current version as of today is: Lightroom 2.2. Don't believe these people. They either don't know what they are talking about or didn't their job properly. Adobe has NOT released Lightroom 2.3. What Adobe released yesterday was Lightroom 2.3 Release Candidate. See: Lightroom Journal by Tom Hogarty from Adobe in the 23-Jan-2009 entry.
What's the difference between releasing the Lightroom 2.3 vs. Lightroom 2.3 Release Candidate?
- Lightroom 2.3 is the final product that Adobe will sell and charge $$$ for it. It's "supposed" to be working. There are still bugs, but supposedly not show stoppers.
- Lightroom 2.3 Release Candidate is something that Adobe's has tested, but is not sure that it actually works. They need to know and find out what else could be wrong. So you can try it for free, crash your system and mangle your data. I hope that you have a good backup.
Please always read carefully the notifications.
- Do NOT update your Lightroom immediately after Adobe has released it's new version, whatever the version.
- Wait at least a couple of weeks for the dust to settle and let other people find out what are the major bugs. Will these bugs affect you?
- Adobe had to recall Lightroom 1.4. Lightroom 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2 came very fast, one after the other.
- Today's Sunday 25-Jan-2009 1:45pm, and now everybody carefully mentions that it's Lightroom 2.3 Release Candidate that is available.