Whenever I need to negotiate with a "soon to be customer" (I hope she will become a customer) and she asks for a discount or for... I don't like to give discounts. So usually, I come up with something else, but it's never the price she wanted. If this is not handled properly, she will go somewhere else. I usually present my alternative as:
I recently had a customer with the same problem and what we did was...
I never give names, that's why this is the mystery customer.
Benefits of the mystery customer
- This is almost a "solution" to her problem and therefore also a solution toward my sale.
- She is not the first one, so she is not a guinea pig.
- The solution of the mystery customer can either be accepted as is or tweaked to fit her specific needs.
- She has spent time looking at my photos.
- She has spent time negotiating and try to buy my photos.
- She has a vested interest, by spending her time, into buying my photos instead of somebody else.