I hate discounts. I sell both prints and licenses for my photos. I regularly get asked for discounts. So I hate discounts (I love a discount when I buy something, but that's another story). Asking for discounts is part of the human nature. Look at all these people who are asking for deep discounts or even want your photos for free, when it's not even their money! They have no problem asking for perpetual rights and unlimited number of prints but they still want their salary and would never work for free.
Dealing with discounts
When somebody asks for a discount, NEVER reply:
"Would you work for free?"
People don't like this kind of flippant retort. I have done it and it did not end well.
As a policy, I don't give discounts as such, but I do give "extras":
- You buy licenses for 5 photos; you get another 2 licenses for so-called "free."
- You buy these 2 prints together; you will get a smaller one framed as a "special."
- On the spot, I create this "new time limited promotion" of...
- All "free" items are itemized on the invoice.
- Always give the reason for the "free" item or the "special" on the invoice.